GNUstep-base: make check fails on a clean machine

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: GNUstep-base: make check fails on a clean machine
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 00:17:44 +0200

Just tried to execute make check on a clean machine after executing make but before installing via sudo make install. The result is that all tests fail to build because the header file GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h is not found. E.g.,

In file included from /home/wolfgang/Projects/GNUstep/base/Headers/ Foundation/NSAutoreleasePool.h:27 from /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/ TestFramework/Testing.h:26
                 from decoding.m:5:
/home/wolfgang/Projects/GNUstep/base/Headers/GNUstepBase/ GSVersionMacros.h:193:33: warning: GNUstepBase/GSConfig.h: No such file or directory

This _could_ be solved by adding -I$(TOP_DIR)/Source to ADDITIONAL_INCLUDE_DIRS in the check rule in Tests/GNUmakefile. However, I do not understand why this file is moved to Source/ GNUstepBase from Headers/GNUstepBase in the first place, where it is created by the configure script. If this file were left in Headers/ GNUstepBase no additional include flags would be needed (the question applies to config.h as well of course). An additional benefit of not moving the file is that configure would not touch it when the configuration hasn't changed and thus could avoid needless recompilation.

Wolfgang