Re: sparc: ld: --relax and -r may not be used together

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: sparc: ld: --relax and -r may not be used together
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:05:46 +0200 (CEST)

> GCC 4.1 for example does have -mrelax on at least some targets on which
> --relax does something, but not everywhere, so the portable version
> would seem to be -Wl,--relax.

Yes, that would be solution if we were trying to pass --relax to the linker ;-)

But we need to do something different - we need to prevent GCC from silently
passing --relax to the linker, which is quite a different problem :-(

On the relevant targets, GCC avoids passing '--relax' only if it sees '-r' or
'-mno-relax' on the command-line.  As testing for support for -mno-relax is too
complicated, we just decided (at least for this release) to simply use '-r'
(like in all previous releases) when using GCC for partial linking.

Better ideas would be welcome.

Thanks