Re: Gorm is broken

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Gorm is broken
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 20:44:09 +0200

So asy you state, the screen resolution can vary a lot. Exactly what you state proves both my point and Richard.

GUI elements need be adapted to pixels. If you have a particular device with a screen, you should be able to double or half the resolution. This is how it works on Windows too.

Think how it works in a typical context. It is not just an AppIcon. You can have a NSImageView or a NSButton with an image on it. You design the interface elements to be of a certain size and thus the bitmap you put in too. You can't expect images not to be displayed in pixels, it won't work correctly.

O don't think Eric can do many tricks there. You would need to draw the whole interface with a different unit, like points.

Only sometimes you really want to match an image to its resolution. For example with a "show real size" of an image viewer. In that case you need to know the resolution of the image and the resolution of the screen and do all necessary conversions.

Riccardo

Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:
Newer mobile screen are like 250 ~ 350 ppi these days so yes I want
bigger buttons by default. It's useless vs happiness so scaling by
resolution got more priority.

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald