Re: Problem building corebase...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Problem building corebase...
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:30:08 +0100

On 29 May 2011, at 21:21, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> Well, I don't think it's that silly.  In reality the only real dependency
> here is the header.  Libuuid is already installed on all Linux systems since
> it's part of e2fsprogs.  I can't see the BSDs not having it readily available
> either, specially if they want to do anything needing ext2/3/4 access.

Most BSD systems don't want to do anything with ext2/3/4, so this package is
not installed by default.  It's something else that we need to install.
Meanwhile, the code for generating UUIDs is already available for inclusion in
GNUstep.  It is aggressively tested (about 99% of the EtoileFoundation unit
test time is spent hitting the ETUUID implementation), is small, and doesn't
require adding an external dependency.

David