Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:34:15 +0000

On 9 Nov 2011, at 18:13, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

>> Examples please.  What platforms:
>>
>> - Are supported by GCC 3.2
>> - Are not supported by GCC 4.0 or Clang
>> - Are supported by GNUstep?
> Don't twist the question

I'm not twisting the question.  Supporting older compilers increases the
maintenance burden for us.  The question always was, what is the newest
compiler that we can reasonably expect to be on any platform where people are
going to want to run GNUstep.

We decided before the release that GCC 4.x or newer provided the best balance
between reducing our effort and maintaining support.

If you wish to maintain a GCC 3.x (or even 2.x) compatibility branch, then no
one will stop you, but if you want everyone else to put effort into maintaining
support for a legacy compiler then you need to provide a compelling reason.

David

--
This email complies with ISO 3103