Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Incompatible compiler option fexec-charset
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:30:03 +0000

On 21 Nov 2011, at 10:41, David Chisnall wrote:

> On 21 Nov 2011, at 08:48, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
>
>> Given that UTF-8 is the default, I see no point in specifying this flag
>
> Neither do I.  GCC 4.x defaults to UTF-8, Clang defaults to UTF-8 (and
> ignores this flag).  GCC <4 are not officially supported, but apparently
> refuse to compile with this flag.  It sounds like we gain nothing from
> specifying it.

Great if we don't need to specify it ...

In that case I guess we need a mechanism to warn if an older compiler is being
used, or if someone uses fexec-charset to specify a different charset.

Or perhaps, we could just let people suffer the consequences without any
warning ... but document in the GNUstep FAQ that users must not specify a
charset other than UTF-8 (or use an older compiler) and try to use string
literals containing non-ascii characters.