Re: Error compiling obj-c on Ubuntu

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Error compiling obj-c on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:57:26 +0000

On 20 Mar 2012, at 14:43, Swati Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build a simple objective-c code on my Ubuntu machine(Ubuntu:
> version 11:10 using GNUstep). I am getting following error:
>
> ""/usr/include/GNUstep/Foundation/NSException.h:42:2: error: #error The
> current setting for native-objc-exceptions does not match that of
> gnustep-base ... please correct this.""
>
> Can anyone point to me. What am I doing wrong here?

I guess we need a better error message.

There are two separate exception handling mechanisms available ... one based on
the standard setjmp() function (which does not require special compiler
support), and one 'native' version where the compiler manages the exception
handling.  If you try to use both in the same executable, exception handlers
won't work... which can be pretty disastrous.

This warning is telling you that the gnustep-base library was built using one
form of exception handling, but that the gnustep-make package you are using is
building code to use the other form of exception handling ... with the
consequence that exception handling would be broken in the program you are
building.

So ... somehow your gnustep-base and gnustep-make package are incompatible, and
you need to replace one of them with a version configured to match the other.