Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:08:15 +0100

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 22:09 CET, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 19.02.2013 09:10, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> >> when you write "this behaviour matches Apple" do you mean our timer is
> >> acting correct but we are using the wrong one?

> > I am no expert here, but the behaviour in base matches the documentation.
> > If this does not result in the desired effect, we will have to use a
> > different way. And maybe the solution is as simple as adding that timer for
> > the modal panel mode as well.
>
> I just added the line
>
>    [[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop] addTimer: timer forMode:
> NSModalPanelRunLoopMode];
>
> to GSTooltips.m (plus the required includes) and now tooltips work even
> in modal panels. There are a lot more places in gui where we use a timer
> and most of them would benefit from a similar change. The question is,
> are there any downsides to this change and which places should be adopted?
> And most important: Should we really change this during the code freeze
> that is currently in place on gui and back?

Normally, every change would (should) require everyone to retest everything
again
and again. Since the amount of people and their time actually doing that is
limited,
I'd not put more burden on them than necessary.

Therefore I'd only concentrate on testing, and fixing really bad bugs and
regressions.
Don't know whether this tooltips issue is reasonably worrying enough, to
get it in before the release.
Like Richard said, there could be another release in March if necessary,
at least for base as he mentioned. If my voice would count, I'd postpone
those changes after the release, and plan for another release not too far
in the future, maybe also in March like base.

Sebastian