Re: Tooltips in save panels

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Tooltips in save panels
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:28:53 +0100

On 26.02.2013 10:51, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Wolfgang Lux wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:

The backend implementation simply passes on the window level to the
window manager if that is WindowMaker (which Riccardo is using), so
I'm inclined to think that my comment _does_ reflect the
implementation in XGServerWindow.m. Another point is that
XGServerWindow also attempts to map window levels onto NET-WM window
types for other window managers, which may or may not work well (for
instance, the mapping is more or less broken when using Apple's
quartz-wm).

I am using Window Maker, yes.

This could explain some things: tooltips work fine on Windows with
win32! Also, sometimes tooltips are shown black in Gorm for exmaple
(Gregory has this problem often). I never experienced this if not
yesterday, but just clicking the windows made the problem disappear. I
suppose there can be confusion in layering.

I think Wolfgang's idea of putting them at popupbutton level is fine, it
would solve most problems, except putting a label on a menu-item of a
popupbutton itself (but it would when closed I suppose). Perhaps it
should be done immediately post-release, but if you have a patch I can
try it.

Now would be the perfect time to fix the window levels for tool tips.
I gave the suggested change a try and it seems to work correctly on my KDE system. But then, tool tips worked correctly here with the old level.