Re: Question about memory management

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Question about memory management
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:38:39 +0100

On 7 Jun 2013, at 09:30, "Graham Lee" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Should this be wrapped in if(self == [Singleton class])? I've seen that used
> to guard against this +initialize being called multiple times when a subclass
> is used that doesn't override the method.

Good catch.  The answer is... maybe.  Typically, singletons don't support
subclassing, because the semantics are a bit interesting.  It's often better,
if you have a singleton that may want extending, to provide some delegate
mechanism.  Or, alternatively, a way of setting the singleton instance to use.

If you expect subclasses, then you need to be a bit more clever to ensure that
everything that tries to access the object gets the subclass version.
Traditionally, you'd do that by adding a category on the superclass that
replaced +sharedInstance with a call to your replacement.  If two different
libraries try to do this, however, the behaviour is undefined.

David

-- Sent from my Apple II