Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: Re: Intermediate Summary: Re: GNUstep.org website redesign proposal
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:04:36 +0000

Am 13.01.2014 um 11:29 schrieb Wolfgang Lux <address@hidden>:

> Niels Grewe wrote:
>
>>> Am 12.01.2014 um 00:06 schrieb "Riccardo Mottola" <address@hidden>:
>>>
>>> ARC instead is more a "taste". It is a new addition in the GC discussion. I
>>> personally prefer ref-counting.
>>
>> This seems to be a common misconception: ARC *is* reference counting; it has
>> very little to do with garbage collection.
>
> Sorry for nitpicking, Niels.

Don’t be :-)

> ARC is indeed reference counting, but reference counting *is* one way of
> performing garbage collection :-)

Very true, though reference counting alone has certain deficiencies as a
garbage collection mechanism... So let’s say my point is that ARC doesn’t turn
Objective-C into a language where you don’t have to care about memory
management (which, I assume, is what people commonly understand when they hear
the phrase ‘a garbage-collected language’).There’s no tracing, there’s no
attempt made at detecting cyclic references, so you still have to think
carefully about memory management.

Cheers,

Niels