Policy on checking in rebuilt configure

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Policy on checking in rebuilt configure
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 23:33:09 +0100

Hi,

Do we have any policy on checking in rebuilt configure? Running autoreconf, of course, produces a large diff since I'm not using the same version as the previous committed; and keeping configure and configure.ac in sync manually is very painful.

Is there a significant reason why we should keep configure checked in in the first place? It is a generated file that is trivial to generate with autotools; while it should be in tarballs, it doesn't have to be checked in.

I'm specifically looking at gnustep-make right now, but since core libs all include configure scripts, this applies to all of them.
--
Ivan Vučica
address@hidden