Re: Painter Fuzzy Node in github

From: Johan Ceuppens
Subject: Re: Painter Fuzzy Node in github
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:57:59 +0100

Hi, see below

Before you proceed with this, I would suggest that you examine the entire stack of graphics technologies available under systems evolved based on OPENSTEP.

Does anyone have some pointers for this ? This would be from GL to EGL and the pheared DirectX. This all comes down to accelerating with screen drivers nothing in the X11 user space, relating to DirectX in this case.

The stack that I was thinking of is, on Apple platforms, approximately:
- OpenGL (where OpenGL ES is a simplification, and Direct3D being the remaining non-deprecated analogue within world of DirectX)
- Core Animation + Core Graphics
- AppKit / UIKit
AppKit and UIKit draw content into Core Animations' CALayers, and Core Animation's renderer actually puts it on the screen.

GNUstep has only AppKit, and currently blits things onto the screen without CA, CG or OpenGL. This is done by a lower level library such as Cairo.
- Cairo (or Libart, or Xlib, or Opal which happens to use Cairo...)
- gnustep-back
- AppKit / gnustep-gui

I STFW and found quartzcore at svn.gna.org. I'll look into how fuzzy logic and more specifically AI could better the system and maybe code something up using gnustep-fuzzy. Everything will be portable Objective-C and not dependent on other libs. I will look at your above stack of technologies tomorrow. I know a bit of OpenGL, a bit of Appkit and UIKit by writing a small iOS game and nothing about Cairo although AFAIK it has the same interface as SDL which I do know something about as I wrote some games with it (mostly 2D not using its OpenGL.)

Could you explain the reasons why CA,CG and OpenGL are Cairo-based ? I guess writing such things is very time-consuming without Cairo but it is more of a Gnome library.

Anyway, I'll try to respond with some code for my quartzcore thingies in the next couple of days. This is probably the renderer I was looking after. Do try to explain me as why Cairo as this was a remake of SDL and has probably grown the last time I saw its API due to e.g. SVG and is now heavy-weight. To be fair I need some time to absorb all this.

Thanks,
`Enry