Re: base exception handling coherency

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: base exception handling coherency
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 21:56:36 +0000

Apologies for this obvious question, but are you sure objc/objc.h is actually deployed on the system?

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 9:34 PM Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

today I am rebuilding on FreeBSD 10.1 / clang and even with a clean
"configure" (no other options) I get this:

  Compiling file GSObjCRuntime.m ...
In file included from GSObjCRuntime.m:39:
../../Headers/Foundation/NSException.h:44:2: error: "There are two separate
       exception handling mechanisms available ... one based on the standard
       setjmp() function (which does not require special compiler
support), and
       one 'native' version where the compiler manages the exception
handling. If
       you try to use both in the same executable, exception handlers
will not
       work... which can be pretty disastrous. This error is telling you
that the
       gnustep-base library was built using one form of exception
handling, but
       that the gnustep-make package you are using is building code to
use the
       other form of exception handling ... with the consequence that
exception
       handling would be broken in the program you are building. So,
somehow your
       gnustep-base and gnustep-make package are incompatible, and you
need to
       replace one of them with a version configured to match the other."
#error "There are two separate exception handling mechanisms available ....
  ^
../../Headers/Foundation/NSException.h:48:2: error: "gnustep-base is
configured
       to use 'traditional' exceptions, but you are building for 'native'
       exceptions."
#error  "gnustep-base is configured to use 'traditional' exceptions, bu...
  ^
2 errors generated.

my gnustep-make was configured with:

./configure --prefix=/ --with-layout=gnustep CC=clang CXX=clang++

in the configure output I see:
checking whether the compiler supports native ObjC exceptions... no

is that the problem?

The configure check seems to fail for something stupid:

configure:6073: clang -c -g -O2 -x objective-c -I.   -fgnu-runtime
-DGNU_RUNTIME -fexceptions -fo
bjc-exceptions  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:10:10: fatal error: 'objc/objc.h' file not found
#include <objc/objc.h>
          ^
1 error generated.

is that expected?