Re: NSMovieDirectory

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NSMovieDirectory
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:34:55 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
Actual directory path being an implementation detail and not something a user would usually worry about, we can choose display another value in UI. This is what other (sane) systems do.

Guys, we have 5 out of 6 done, so the 6th should just follow what we have now so that it can be released and we are sure it works fine. Localisation is very tricky and Bertrand and I are doing experiments on how Mac is apparently inconsistent.

And if we choose to follow freedesktop.org <http://freedesktop.org> user-dirs, we can always query the relevant data files to figure out correct names, whether it's Videos vs Movies vs Filmovi, or Images vs Pictures vs Slike.
http://askubuntu.com/q/457047/18187

So I'd strongly stick to the above and NOT use directories just because other free desktop environments do; if anything, we can return multiple directories (both Movies and Videos). Let's say, if the alternative directory exists.

This could cause quite some issues with localizations requiring a multiple indirection, essentially a double mapping which I'd like to avoid now.

The physical names have to be in English so they can be recognized or a mapping needs to be done which we don't have right now. That's what mac and Windows do.

And long term we can have a compile time flag to adopt xdo basedir spec directories, as well as special user directories.

Yes, but it requires more work, I wills tick to a gradual implementation. Continuous evolution.

Riccardo