Re: Gna changeover

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Gna changeover
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 22:57:23 +0100

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Gregory Casamento
<address@hidden> wrote:
> As you guys know gna is now shutdown.   I have been working on transitioning
> us to git on another server.   I've been slowed down a bit by illness (I've
> been sick for the last few weeks).
>
> I have been rsync'ing to my local machine and, of course, mirroring to
> github.
>
> I am trying to restore services by this weekend so we can all continue work.
>
> Thanks. GC.

To add:

- If you need access to the code, for now please use the Git
repositories available on Github.

- Please store your commits separately and expect to apply them
separately later. Pull requests will not be helpful at this time.

- As the conversion will involve correcting the author usernames to be
up to spec, and as the conversion will include the remainder of the
branches and tags, the COMMIT HASHES WILL CHANGE. Linking existing
mirror's commit hashes to the newly converted Git hashes will be done
on a best-effort basis.

- Given that Gna has provided an rsyncable Subversion repository, the
latest fetch of this we can get will be used to generate the Git
repositories. As this was previously public information, it will
either be available on request, or it will be simply made available
for download as a tarball.

- Probability of spinning up a replacement read-write Subversion-based
repository is super low, and a last-resort option. It would require
someone to set up and secure a Subversion repository.

- Gitlab or another libre equivalent will be spun up at the earliest
convenience and serve as the web frontend once we are ready to go. For
starters, we'll be happy if we can provide usable repositories on
Github.

- Repositories will continue to be available on Github once we have
set up the primary hosting frontends, but as official mirrors.

We don't have a timeframe on bringing the service up. Please bear with
us. I was going to send this email on Friday, when it looked like
we'll sort this out during the weekend, but that is no longer the
case.