Re: Cairo font configuration

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: Cairo font configuration
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 02:51:42 +0200

Hi Fred,

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Ivan,

I think we are all on this list for this reason I reduced the recipients list.

Of course cairo uses fontconfig when available. The problem Sergei and Riccardo are talking about really exists and it is caused by a known bug in the cairo handing of fixed fonts. That is the reason why terminal gets mentioned. There fixed fonts are still popular.
The issue is cairo is reusing and scaling a fixed font even if there is a proper version available for the required size. The only workaround I see, beside fixing inside of cairo, is to not reuse fixed fonts. But this is to costly, rather we would need our own cache for these fonts, duplicating the cairo code.
I could send you references of the relevant cairo and GNUstep code as soon as I am back home.

Writing about .nfont packages used in ART backend I meant not only this. For example, RobotoMono font looks quite weird without antialiasing (hinting?), LiberationMono looks good. With .nfont package for RobotoMono I've added "RenderHints_hack = 0x010203;" and after user copy this package into it's ~/Library/Fonts directory everything works as font package creator think should be better for user. Liberation Mono has no "RenderHints_hack" at all. Everybody is happy.
If I want RobotoMono to be drawn antialiased at any size and other fonts non-antialiased at size less then 12 I need to add configuration (system or user) on font install.
Sure both ways has right to live but fontconfig way breaks NeXT/Apple style of doing things that GNUstep follows to.
Did I miss something?
Fred

On the road