gnustep-webmasters

Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?

From: Scott Stevenson
Subject: Re: Beta-test new site design, was: Status of the "new" GNUstep website?
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 16:52:28 -0800

On Jan 10, 2004, at 12:56 PM, MJ Ray wrote:

This needs some work yet, but we *must* use lists for lists. Table and • for lists is a bit evil, because it's not using honest and accurate markup.

I don't follow. Why is it evil?

Either way, the current arrangement looks absolutely horrible when the window grows. The the left and right columns get progressively further apart.

It doesn't look right in some common browsers and is a bit nasty for unusual browsers (like talking ones).

Which common browsers is it causing problems for?

Tables can cause problems for sightless browsers if used improperly, but I don't believe that is the case here, since the order of the "spoken" elements is consistent. The problems come into play with multiple nested tables and such.

Maybe we can compromise here and have a single row, two-cell table with one list per cell?

I need to figure out what a good way to center the right-hand column is. Any suggestions?

I don't think we want it centered as much as attached to the left column, correct?

The bullet positioning error is probably something from largo's IE fixes, top line of the CSS. I'll try to reset the right property to a good value. Does anyone know which it is, or shall I use trial and error?

The table solution suggested above should remedy this. But if not, try applying margin-left: to the "ul" selector.

It's not that huge to me in Firebird.

I think this gets back to the issue that the "point" unit of measurement creates. There's a spread in the base size.

Maybe it needs dropping a size?

Yeah, maybe just give it a whirl and see how it looks. Definitely seems too big in Safari.

(gnustep-main.css)
1. I see you've changed the font-size to points from pixels. Is this to get platform-relative sizes?

Yes. It works fine for me in Firebird. Maybe your screen or browser dpi is wrong?

Not sure what "wrong" is.  :)

2. I think there's a bit too much spacing between elements in the sidebar. Maybe take line-height down a bit more?

Will do. What would you suggest?

Two points or so?

Thanks,

   - Scott