gnustep-webmasters

Re: Small suggestion

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Small suggestion
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:40:45 +0100

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2004-03-04 20:59:57 +0000 Wim Oudshoorn <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> If you open http://www.gnustep.org you see the 'Overview' page.
>> But this overview page is not mentioned in the list of
>> links on the right hand side of the page.
>
> You can get there by clicking the word "GNUSTEP" at the top of the
> page. Do you think we should add "Overview" as the first entry in the
> links list?

Yes, I think that is better.  Let me explain why I think this is better.
When I start browsing a site by typing an url like http://www.gnustep.org
I consider the first page I see a starting page.
I expect that all content is reachable from this page and when I am
lost on the site I want to go back to this page.
If every page contains a link to this starting page I feel that there
is always a "known" place to go back to.
If such a link is not there I feel a little bit lost.

For this to work the link should be clearly visible, so hiding
it under the GNUstep logo is not as effective.

Now I know the GNUstep site a little so it is not as bad, but
I try to look at it with fresh eyes.

Wim Oudshoorn.