gnustep-webmasters

Re: StepTalk blog

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: StepTalk blog
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:01:31 +0100

On 8/11/05, Thom Cherryhomes <address@hidden> wrote:
> it still does not change the fact that the current main GNUstep site
> is terrible, mostly in terms of example screenshots, and overall
> ability for someone to actually understand and get a copy of GNUstep
> in the first place.

\begin {rant}

Well, criticizing is always a bit easier.. but even if the GNUstep
website is not perfect,
I think everyboy can acknowledge it improved a lot in the last year,
and we can thanks
all the volunteers that worked on it. Things are never *perfect*, we
can only expect
to improve them (particularly as we don't have loads of resources available)

Now, it would probably be a better move to propose new things in order
to improve
the main site, if you think it's not good..

> for the record, an excellent CMS system is available at www.typo3.org
> ... we are currently using it until I can actually sit down with a dev
> team and have some time to write a full fledged CMS in GNUStepWeb
> (which, by the way, still has almost no documentation, and no real dev
> environment.)

Yes, it's a shame, indeed. Sadly there is very few people working on gsweb, so..

> it just seems nobody is expending any real effort to push GNUstep
> beyond its current community, and that is truly sad.

I'm not sure this statement is completely fair -- guess it depens how
you define "real effort"...
It seems to me that a few persons try to improve things. Sure, not
many, but still..
And things improved.

\end{rant}

Ok, back on-topic... a CMS, why not, but that's quite some work I
guess, to set it up, etc. I'm not sure it's worth it compared to the
current website, but hey, if somebody is volunteer, go on ! :)

Probably, a working application database would be more important.

And installing a planet to gather blogs would be a good idea, and
probably not too much work, as ready to use softwares for that seems
to exist. can be wrong though.

Anyway, I think it's easy to propose things, but in the end, it's the
people that *do* it that actually improve things.. personally I know I
don't have extra time to work on the website, so, well.. thanks to
thoses that do.

--
Nicolas Roard
  -Arthur C. Clarke