gnustep-webmasters

Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Site, apps and CMS (Was: Re: StepTalk blog)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:38:02 +0100

Rob Burns <address@hidden> wrote:

> aren't centralized at the gnustep.org site. I think those sub-sites,
> and a unified look, by at least using the same header, with links to
> all sub-sites, as mentioned above would help out with this.

Yes, that would be good.

> The gnustep.org site itself isn't very accessable to Joe random web
> surfer, as its mostly concerned with presenting GNUstep as a
> development framework, not something for the end user. [...]

There have been a few discussions about fixing the structure,
but it is quite an upheaval and I don't think anyone's found
the time yet. Meanwhile, we keep chipping away when we can.

I think that presenting the developer face first is a good thing.
We need more developers more than we need more users right now,
don't we?

We may not be serving new developers very well, though, as we've
not many new developers among the webmasters. Let us know specific
ideas for improving it, please.

> As, to the forum/mailing list gateway. At first I thought links to
> specific lists within the gmane site could help. But, I'm not sure if
> you can post form gmane. [...]

We have those links on
http://www.gnustep.org/information/gethelp.html
and you can post as described in http://gmane.org/post.php

Maintaining gateways to the lists can be a lot of work. It wasn't
so long ago that the four list-usenet gates were disabled for
a while. (Thanks to Adam for re-enabling and letting me back.)
Who will do that work? I fear that we are getting a lot of
conversation and not enough action for this to work long-term.

Hoping I'm wrong,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/