Re: [gnutls-dev] Re: alternative /dev/random

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] Re: alternative /dev/random
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:30:04 +0100

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:17:29 +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos said:

> http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/086

It seems that they did not contact Ted to ask for further insight into
the architecture.  I attended a talk in the mid 90ies where he
described /dev/random along with its design goals and problems.
Unfortunately the proceedings are not online (www.linux-kongress.org
has only > 1996).  I should have a paper copy somewhere but moved
several times since then :-(.

Despite from the first analysis of a large pool RNG design, the paper
describes more a problem with the linux development model than with
the original design.  Any new implementation will hamper from the same
problems.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner