Re: [gnutls-dev] Re: Compiler warnings on 64bit archs

From: Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] Re: Compiler warnings on 64bit archs
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:09:11 +0200

On 2006-06-16 Andreas Metzler <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2006-06-16 Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Andreas Metzler <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>>> ------------------------
>>> gnutls_buffers.c:268: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different
>>> size
>>> gnutls_buffers.c:704: warning: cast from pointer to integer of different
>>> size

>> Storing integers within pointers is safe, isn't it?  Compare:
>> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Type-Conversion-Macros.html

> I did not know this page. ;-)
> <quote>
> The problem is that on some systems you need to do this:
> p = (void*) (long) 42;
> i = (int) (long) p;
> </quote>
[...]

Attached a small prrof of concept patch showing how this could be
done, eliminating the warnings for gnutls_buffers.c. I have put the
macros in gnutls.h, it might be better to not make them part of the
GnuTLS API, though.
cu andreas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute