Re: [gnutls-dev] size_t, int and 64 bit machines

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] size_t, int and 64 bit machines
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:15:53 +0100

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:54, address@hidden said:

> I think that if GNU/Linux on amd64 or ia64 have size_t==8, then we
> cannot use this escape-route, we'll have to solve this properly.  I
> think GnuTLS is used a lot on many amd64/ia64 systems.

That is correct.  Almost all systems use 64 bit for size_t; without
that the 64 bit stuff does not make sense for some applications.  I am
not sure about 64 bit Windows - here size_t might still be 32 bit.
They do this, as well as having long still at 32 bit, for backward
compatibility reasons.

I found this article

@article{1165766,
 author = {John R. Mashey},
 title = {The long road to 64 bits},
 journal = {Queue},
 volume = {4},
 number = {8},
 year = {2006},
 issn = {1542-7730},
 pages = {24--35},
 doi = {http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1165754.1165766},
 publisher = {ACM Press},
 address = {New York, NY, USA},
}

from ACMQueue quite interesting (ACM DL account required).

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner