Re: [gnutls-dev] Guile problems in 1.7.12

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [gnutls-dev] Guile problems in 1.7.12
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:29:46 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Still, the paths look right for me:
>> I think I got it (I hope so!):
>>   * On my machine, Guile is installed in `/usr/local/'.  Thus,
>>     `GUILE_LDFLAGS' contain `-L /usr/local/lib', which leads Libtool to
>>     add `/usr/local/lib' to RPATH.
>>   * On your machine, Guile is installed in `/usr', so this does not
>>     happen.  And a `-L /usr/local/lib' to your Libtool link command-line
>>     and you'll make the same observations as I do.
>> Unless I'm mistaken, the fix is to revert your `_LIBADD' patch and get
>> back to something along the lines of:
>>                    $(GUILE_LDFLAGS)
>> which makes sure that third-party libs (here, Guile) appear last.
> I didn't reply to this mail.  Is this still a problem for you?  I think
> it is more correct to use LIBADD rather than LDFLAGS here, so I'd like
> to debug why that doesn't work (and possibly report it as a bug) before
> making a change.

Well, I had forgotten about it too, but that's still valid.  ;-)

To sum up: on my machine, Guile is installed in `/usr/local/lib', and so
is GnuTLS.  The libtool link command-line looks like:

  -L/usr/local/lib -lguile  ...  ../../lib/  ... \

The first `-L' leads libtool to add `/usr/local/lib' to the RPATH of
`'; the `../../lib/' that follows leads
libtool to *append* `../../lib/.libs' to the RPATH.  Consequently, the
`' and `' that are picked up at run-time
are those from `/usr/local/lib', *not* the freshly-built ones.

The proposed fix (above) fixes the problem.  That the `XXX_LIBS' vars
would better fit in `XXX_LIBADD' than in `XXX_LDFLAGS' really isn't an
issue: there's nothing in the libtool manual that forbids listing
libtool archives as part of LDFLAGS.

Is that clearer?