[gnutls-dev] GnuTLS 2.1.8

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [gnutls-dev] GnuTLS 2.1.8
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:38:20 +0100

The GnuTLS 2.1.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.  It
is intended for developers and experienced users.

Consider this a release candidate for version 2.2.  I plan to release
this on December 13th if there are no serious reports.

There were no major feedback on the GPLv3 situation, so are now using
GPLv3 for everything that used to use GPLv2.  If the LZO library is
giving you license problems (2.01 is available under GPLv2 or later, so
it works fine, but 2.02 is GPLv2 only and can thus not be linked with
GPLv3 gnutls-extra), our official recommendation is to disable lzo
compression support in GnuTLS.  It is not an official TLS compression
algorithm, so the breakage seems minimal.

News in this release:

* Version 2.1.8 (released 2007-12-10)

** The GPL version has been changed from version 2 to version 3.
This affects the self-tests, command-line tools, the libgnutls-extra
library, the relevant guile parts, and the build environment.

** Added gnutls_x509_crt_get_subject_alt_name2().

** Corrected a segfault when setting an empty gnutls_priority_t
at gnutls_priority_set().

** Use gettext 0.17 which updates m4/lib-*.m4 macros.
Fixes a problem with spurious -L/usr/lib additions.

** API and ABI modifications:
gnutls_x509_crt_get_subject_alt_name2: ADD.

The goals for the 2.1.x branch are tracked at:

http://trac.gnutls.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/milestone/gnutls-2.2

More ideas are welcome, just create a new ticket.

Here are the compressed sources:
  ftp://ftp.gnutls.org/pub/gnutls/gnutls-2.1.8.tar.bz2
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls/releases/gnutls-2.1.8.tar.bz2

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.
You can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate
money or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult, a
Stockholm based privately held company, is currently funding GnuTLS
maintenance.  We are always looking for interesting development
projects.  See http://josefsson.org/ for more details.

/Simon