Re: Uses too much entropy (Debian Bug #343085)

From: Matthias Urlichs
Subject: Re: Uses too much entropy (Debian Bug #343085)
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:21:16 +0100

Hi,

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
> I don't understand these comments. The libgcrypt's generator can be
> used in a separate processes. It doesn't mean it gathers any entropy
> except for using /dev/urandom as usual.

Ah, thanks for the correction.

In that case, if it's "as usual", why run the daemon in the first place?

To clarify: I don't have an issue with gnutls eating randomness from the
pool. The randomness is there to be eaten.

However, reading 3000+ bits every time a server (or client) starts up
does seem a bit excessive. I seriously doubt that it needs that many.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  address@hidden
 - -