goptical

Re: [Goptical] Total internal reflection

From: Alexandre Becoulet
Subject: Re: [Goptical] Total internal reflection
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 21:53:40 +0100

On Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:00:51 AM Karl D.D. Willis wrote:

Hi Karl,

> I am interested in using goptical for simulating the total internal
> reflection that occurs inside fiber optics. I have been playing around with
> the examples provided, but am a little stumped as to how best to proceed.
>
> Are there any examples that deal with total internal reflection?
> Or do you have any suggestions about how to proceed and what goptical
> objects should be used?
>
> Any advise would be much appreciated.

Total internal reflection is handled by the OpticalSurface class.
This class is designed to model a surface with two material models, an outline
shape model and a curvature model.

One way to model an optical component is to instantiate one or more
OpticalSurface surface object with suitable shape and curvature models. This
way you might be able to build an optical fiber.

If you think using OpticalSurface this way is not suitable, you should
consider sub-classing the Element class directly to write a fiber optics model
with appropriate geometrical parameters. Your model will be able to react to
incoming light rays and you can reuse code from the OpticalSurface class to
handle TIR.

What do you think?

Best,

--