gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] GPSD Time service HOWTO

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] GPSD Time service HOWTO
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:28:47 -0400 (EDT)

In accordance with my recent on-list remarks to Gary Miller about
private knowledge as a risk, I have begun putting together a GPSD
Time Service HOWTO.  It is in the GPSD repo as

     www/gpsd-time-service-howto.txt

marked up in asciidoc.  (As a point of procedure, I've been
increasingly doing new documentation in asciidoc; we don't need the
full power of XML-DocBook, and asciidoc markup is far easier to read.)

Gary actually wrote most of the content, which is transplanted from
various scattered sources.  I have added introductory and motivating
material.

This is a rough early draft.  Please review looking for errors and
propose new text for where I have TODO labels.

More references would also be welcome.  For example: Hal Murray, if
your stuff on that awful long-period wobble in SiRFs is still up on
the web, that should be referenced here.

Also feel free to bring more qualified reviewers into the discussion.

Chris Kuethe: I want this to describe *BSD setup with GPSD, too.

Please take this as an opportunity to rescue time service from its
current status as deep black magic.  Even highly technically competent
people tend to hit this topic and bounce - I know I have in the past,
even though I know %1000 more about it than most people.

We'll know we have this right when any reasonably competent Linux or
*BSD geek can buy a PPS-capable modem, set up time service, and
troubleshoot it without once feeling lost.  We need to convey not just
facts but the right kind of mental model.

Freedom begins between the ears.        -- Edward Abbey