gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Is GPSD receiving PPS?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 15:45:55 -0700

Yo Jon!

Always Cc: gpsd-dev.  I'm not always around and others know a lot of
things I do not.

> >> In this case:
> >>
> >> :~# /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -nND 5 /dev/ttyAMA0
> >> /dev/pps0
> >
> > Why are you using -the -F ?
> >

> Because it's in the command line that the Raspbian GPSD package uses
> to launch GSPD  at startup and I wasn't sure if it was needed or not
> so I decided to play it safe and leave it in when doing testing at
> the console.

Not needed, even bad for debugging.  The '-F /var/run/gopsd.sock' hooks
up udevd/systemd hot plugging.  The last thing you want when debugging
is something happening in the background you did not see.

> >> gpsd:INFO: reconnection attempt on device 1
> >> gpsd:PROG: no etc/gpsd/device-hook present, skipped running
> >> ACTIVATE hook gpsd:INFO: opening GPS data source type 2 at
> >> '/dev/pps0' gpsd:PROG: Probing "Garmin USB binary" driver...
> >> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Garmin USB binary" driver...
> >> gpsd:PROG: Probing "GeoStar binary" driver...
> >> gpsd:IO: Sent GeoStar packet id 0xc1
> >> gpsd:IO: => GPS: 5053474700c100010000000050924746 FAILED
> >> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "GeoStar binary" driver...
> >> gpsd:PROG: Probing "Trimble TSIP" driver...
> >> gpsd:PROG: Probe not found "Trimble TSIP" driver...
> >> gpsd:PROG: no probe matched...
> >> gpsd:INFO: gpsd_activate(): activated GPS (fd 6)
> >> gpsd:INFO: GPS on /dev/pps0 returned error -1 (0.000685 sec since
> >> data) gpsd:WARN: device read of /dev/pps0 returned error or packet
> >> sniffer failed sync (flags {ERROR})
> >> gpsd:INFO: closing GPS=/dev/pps0 (6)
> >
> > I do not see any problem there.  That ust says you are not getting
> > any serial data on/dev/pps0.  Which is correct, you only get PPS on
> > it, but you have no logging here of te PPS thread.
> >

> How would I go about logging that? Is there a debug level I need?

Nothing more for you to do.  There is nothing on /dev/pps0, so nothing
to log.

BTW, from the gpsd INSTALL file:

    "Only two specific changes need to be made to make the HAT
    work.  First in the file /boot/cmdline.txt, remove this part
    "console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200)".  That frees the
    serial port from console use so the GPS can use it.

    Second you need to tell the boot process to load the pps_gpio module
    and attach /dev/pps0 to GPIO pin 4.  Do that by adding this line to
    the bottom of /boot/config.txt: dtoverlay=pps-gpio,gpiopin=4"

Can you confirm you did that?

> >> Regression test FAILED: 10 errors in 78 tests total (0 not found).
> >> The following test Failed:
> >> ================================================================
> >> "test/daemon/bu303-climbing.log"
> >
> > Not much anyone can do without the actual errors.
>
> Pastebin links to the logs are below:
>
> http://pastebin.com/aVTC8gf3

That is the input, not the output.  We both have the same input, it
is your output that is different.  The output would have + and - at
the line head, like any other diff.

> Also, the terminal output from scons testregress:
>
> http://pastebin.com/MwFwNtEM

That is better.  Remember when troubleshooting, the FIRST error
is the error to fix FIRST.  Here is your first error:

test_bits.c:71:52: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of
'getbef32' differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]
(void)printf("getbef32: %f %f\n", f1, getbef32(buf, 24)); ^
Looking at errors after that are a waste of time.

> > My guess is that endian errors creeped in.  Most of the the
> > maintainers are using big endian.

Yes, but I also do regressions on a RasPi (ARM).  I do not see that
problem.  So endianness is not the problem.

And first things first, your line numbers are nothing like I see.  Here
is the git head test_bits.c line 72:

    static void ledumpall(void)

So you need to get on git head, your problem may have already been
fixed.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588