gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘reset "Support UBX NAV-PVT" commit 22a020ec1c2bc85eff68

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘reset "Support UBX NAV-PVT" commit 22a020ec1c2bc85eff681ecacc6d2bb79fdddc9c
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 21:11:37 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 23:40:33 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> >
> > address@hidden said:
> > > I'm back after a rough August volunteering on ther projects.  I
> > > updated my RasPi servers and the PPS started going flakey on my
> > > uBlox.  Flipping from 0.0 offset to -1.0 offset, and back, every
> > > few minutes.
> >
> > I have a setup where the PPS is off by a second.  I've mentioned it
> > before, but nobody seemed interested in fixing it.  The problem was
> > NMEA stuff overflowing the second boundary, or something like
> > that.
>
> I've seen overflow this at 4800bps.  The fix for that is simple: don't
> bang the bits that slowly! :-)  9600 normally suffices, but IIRC the
> MT3339 ships some odd long centences - I suppose it's possible ome
> might haver to jump to the nect higher speed..

Hal sent me his log.  He has a uBlox 6 at 9600bps.  And it is getting
behind.  This is the symptom, frequently in his logs:

gpsd:PROG: PPS:/dev/gps0 Assert rejected this second already handled

Only solutions are a faster serial speed, or turn off some of the
messages.  Simple to bump the speed up: gpsctl -s 19200

He also has no KPPS, which also degrades the accuracy.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588