gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq binary support for Venus838

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq binary support for Venus838
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 15:21:42 -0700

Yo Kai!

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:38:14 +0100
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:

> First of all sorry for being a bit verbose in my first mail to the
> list, but experience tells me that having more details help up front
> helps narrowing things down quicker.

Yes, best to lay it out right away.

> I have been hacking away on Gary's Skytraq (Venus6) driver to get it
> to support the binary mode as well as baudrate and update rate
> changes (-s and -c) with some success.

Patches?

> In NMEA mode, the S1216 works out of the box (up to 50Hz fixes!)

Wow!

> even though it isn't recognized as a
> Skytraq (seems my module needed the magic wakeup cookie of
> "$Skytraq\n\r" before it would reply to messages).

You could add that to the gpsd probes it does on startup.

> If I turn on all messages (which is a lot), I get some previously
> un-handled/unknown sentences ("$GPDTM", "$GPGRS", and "$PSTI,003" ),
> which I promptly made driver_nmea0183.c ignore.

Sooner or later, soone will want them.

> In binary mode, the S1216 only emits the "Navigation Data Message"
> (0xA8), which /should/ contain enough information to make gpsd happy
> (time, fixmode, num_sv, week, time of week [to at least 13bits],
> latitude, longitude, {ellipsoid,mean sea level} altitude, [gphv]dop,
> ECEF_[xyz], and ECEF_v[xyz]), but for some reason I don't get PVT
> data output to the client.
> I'm computing/setting:
> session->newdata.mode
> session->gpsdata.status
> mask =
> mode_SET|STATUS_SET|ONLINE_SET|SATELLITE_SET|TIME_SET|LATLON_SET|ALTITUDE_SETDOP_SET|ECEF_SET|VECEF_SET

That should do it.

> It seems like [xc]gps wants the equivalent of GPGSA/GPGSV in order to
> be happy, and I haven't found a way of getting this data, outside
> going back to NMEA mode.

The trick is in the mask.  Look in gpsd_json.c, in function json_data_report().
The TPV is output when the REPORT_IS mask bit is set.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588