gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Initialization & probing questions

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Initialization & probing questions
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:56:13 -0700

Yo Kai!

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:39:31 +0200
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I'm trying to implement the Skytraq driver the 'right way', going
> >> by the comments in driver_proto.c and referencing the Ublox
> >> driver.
> > Why not build on the existing Skytraq driver?  It works for Venus
> > 6.
> I did, and I do, but the existing driver was missing a several things
> (including not detecting my GPS and it had no way to configure it
> through gpsctl) so I was beginning to rewrite parts of it.

Great.  Additive is good.

> >> 3) Excessive probing time.
> >> Since the Skytraq powers up at 115.200 baud, it takes an obscene
> >> amount of time for it to be probed (as  584 sec. Yes, almost 10
> >> min!).
> > Which is why we always recommend to set the GPS to the right serial
> > port speed before starting gpsd.
> > stty -F /dev/ttyS0 115200
> Ah, I must have missed that memo. I found that stty command myself
> just the other day, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
> something obvious.

We all miss the obvious.  And sadly there is no memoo on using stty,
There should be a FAQ for it.

> The modified driver should work for both the Venus6 & Venus8 now. Do
> you want patches directly for testing on the Venus6 or should I post
> them to the list?

Send them to the list, that way they get archived and google indexed.  I
doubt there are active Venus users here, but it does goet used now and
then.

> One question related to gpsd.h: I noticed that SKY_PACKET is placed
> at the end (20), but from looking at the other macros, it looks like
> it should be SKY_PACKET <= MAX_GPSPACKET_TYPE, otherwise it won't be
> picked up by GPS_PACKET_TYPE(n) and missed by PACKET_TYPEMASK(n) and
> GPS_TYPEMASK. I changed SKY_PACKET to 16 and bumped the following and
> at least for the Skytraq it works correctly.

I'll take your word for it.  Just be sure the regression tests pass
before uploading a patch.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588