gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [Patch Submission] $GPVTG w/magnetic course

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [Patch Submission] $GPVTG w/magnetic course
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 14:57:01 -0700

Yo teyrana!

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 17:15:30 -0400
teyrana <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm working on getting a better log file for you. The one I've been
> using for development is only about 30s, and doesn't have any startup
> messages.

Cool.  That allows for permanent regression tests, so this thing stays
working once we get it working.

> > Also, did you have any luck replacing the deprecated GPGGA in your
> > GPS
> output
>
> We haven't been trying to.... should we? Why? What's the problem with
> GGA?

Well, being deprecated should be sufficient.

One issue is that GGA is specifically limited to reporting 0 to 12
satellites seen.  Sometimes I see 28 on a u-blox 8.

Another issue is the inability to report whether the fix is 2D, 3D, DR,
RTK, or fixed position.

It reports the obsolete:  Differential reference station ID.

You have no sentence that reports the year, month or day.  This has
been known to cause interesting failure modes.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588