gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Telit SE868-V3

From: Martin Townsend
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Telit SE868-V3
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 22:01:07 +0000

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:19 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yo Martin!
>
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:09:38 +0000
> Martin Townsend <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > All you need is the NMEA.  When you have the GPS talking to gpsd we
>> > can see is the binary has any advantage.
>> NMEA would probably do so I'll use this, does it use this by default?
>
> gpsd autodetects the GPS speed and protocol.  Usually.  So let it try
> to do that first.  If that fails there are ways to foce the GPS and gpsd
> into desired modes.
>
>> > Now you are out of our area of expertise.  SPI is very common with
>> > RasPi's, BBB's, etc.  I'm guessing you can find a goold SPI->UART
>> > solution for you easily.
>> I haven't found any SPI->UART kernel drivers only for actual SPI->UART
>> chips like the max3100.  I have no problems writing one but I see that
>> you have some sort of driver model within gpsd, would it be possible
>> to use this to make gpsd use spidev?
>
> No need to touch gpsd.  Just give it a device that looks like a standard
> UNIX character device.
>
> There are a lot of SPI devices, there must be some drivers for it, but
> not something we get involved with here.
>
> If you need to do bit picking, then best to write a shim that reads
> your SPI and serves a /dev/ttyXXX

I found this
https://github.com/actigraph/telit-spi-tty/blob/master/telit_spi.c
which is a SPI driver for a Telit modem that creates a TTY character
driver, ignoring the modem stuff I should be able to port this and
shape it to a Telit SPI TTY GPS driver. So once I get my /dev/ttyGPS0
or whatever I decide on i just pass this to gpsd and it should start
reading NMEA messages all being well or do I need some other setup?