gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 09:38:37 +0100

-----Original Message----- From: Gary E. Miller
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:06 PM
To: address@hidden

  http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/monitoring.html#gps

That page shows some failure to understand what is going on.

"I have played with a Python script for this, but the snag is that
you need to wait for the gpsd to emit a message with the required
information.  I therefore also tried writing my own two programs to
retrieve the information directly from gpsd,

gpsd emits the SKY JSON whenever it receives skyview data.  Going
'directly' to gpsd does not change this.  If the client wants more
frequent SKY JSON, then the GPS must be set to output skyview data
more often.

RGDS
GARY

Gary,

Thanks for your notes.

All I need is a value every 5 minutes (for MRTG) so the default rate of one per second appears to be quite adequate. As far as I know, my software doesn't use JSON at all, just gpsd API calls.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden