gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory 'flags' set?

From: Michael Lum
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Shared memory 'flags' set?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 11:46:40 -0700

Hi Gary,

our use case is a slow geo-fence as an adjunct to the main applications so we
wanted to
keep CPU usage low and keep IP traffic off of the 'lo' interface.

We have continuous packet capture happening on the 'lo' interface and don't
want the
gpsd traffic there.

My guess about the cause, something related to the way the flags are set:

The flags provided to the client (I'm using C++) across the socket interface is
using
the JSON unpack routine that is setting the flags based on the values (not NaN)
from
the JSON message.

(I have changed to do this sort of test as you suggested.  I check the values
using
isfinite() and this seems to work so far.)  I'm only looking at fix.time,
fix.mode and
fix.latitude, fix.longitude.

The flags provided to the client across shared memory are, I believe, directly
determined
in gpsd.

Messages are arriving so frequently from the Ublox receiver that the flags are
just
getting written over too quickly in shared memory?

FYI, Ublox NEO-7

Jun 14 17:38:08 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: USB disconnect, device number 38
Jun 14 17:38:09 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: new full-speed USB device number
39 using xhci_hcd
Jun 14 17:38:10 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: New USB device found,
idVendor=1546, idProduct=01a7
Jun 14 17:38:10 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1,
Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Jun 14 17:38:10 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: Product: u-blox 7 - GPS/GNSS
Receiver
Jun 14 17:38:10 nib-default kernel: usb 1-3.2: Manufacturer: u-blox AG -
www.u-blox.com
Jun 14 17:38:10 nib-default kernel: cdc_acm 1-3.2:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device