gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] versioning. Was: Shared memory interface with gpsd rest

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] versioning. Was: Shared memory interface with gpsd restart results in no data for client
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 17:58:02 -0600

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:13:41 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Not entirely. My GnomeGPS minimal brain-dead client does survive a
> > gpsd restart.
>
> Oh, I was thinking gpsd included clients.
>
> > https://github.com/charlescurley/gnome-gps
>
> I grabbed a copy, does not compile for me:
>
> # make
> cd src && make production
> make[1]: Entering directory '/u/local/src/GPS/gnome-gps/src'
> gcc -O2 -o gnome-gps.o -Wall -c -Wno-deprecated-declarations
> gnome-gps.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 libgps`
> gnome-gps.c:32:2: error: #error Unknown gps API protocol version; see
> gps.h for the current value of GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION #error Unknown
> gps API protocol version; see gps.h for the current value of
> GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION ^~~~~ make[1]: *** [Makefile:26: gnome-gps.o]
> Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory '/u/local/src/GPS/gnome-gps/src'
> make: *** [Makefile:5: production] Error 2

That would be because someone bumped the version number when I wasn't
looking. I'll do a quick update. Thanks.

> You want to check the version at runtime, not when you compile.

Ah, OK. That makes for a more flexible client.

I see two problems here.

* Aesthetic. This would require one or more tests for version number in
  the run time. My ancient embedded programming habits tell me the
  fewer branches the better. None the less, do-able.

* Library loading: How do I tell the library loader which version of
  libgps I want? Or does the loader handle that for me?

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but