gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD under Debian 9.4: Systemd problems.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD under Debian 9.4: Systemd problems.
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 16:42:36 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Thu, 21 Jun 2018 17:32:56 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I went to upgrade my debian 9.4 "stretch" gpsd installation to head,
> and installed it with the usual "scons udev-install". I hit a few
> problems....

Ouch.

> It looks like gpsd.service expects either /etc/default/gpsd
> or /etc/sysconfig/gpsd. However udev-install provides neither. A
> work-around hack is to run gpsd manually.

That is because those are distro dependent.  That is for maintainers to
add.

> gpsd.service expects to find gpsd at /usr/sbin/gpsd.

Yes, when installing gpsd from a distro package.

> However, "scons
> udev-install" puts it at /usr/local/sbin/.

Yes, as a git/source install should.  This is the Unix way.  User
packages go in /usr/local.  Distro packages go in /usr.

> Is it possible for systemd
> to look for it in both places?

Dunno, I don't do systemd.  But if scons installs anything it should
not be going in /etc/ at all/  That is for distro installed packages.
Any git/source install needs to go into /usr/local/etc/

> Or have systemd-install hack that line
> after copying it in?

Not sure the solution.  The current situation of gpsd and systemd is
a mess.  Never worked well.

> I still had to manually kill gpsd to get it to recognize the ttyUSB0
> device file. But it now runs:

Which is an abuse of the systemd 'system'.

> SConstruct has "Utility('udev-uninstall',...," but that does not
> appear to handle systemd files.

If we install it, we should uninstall.

> Also, please make them consistent: systemd-uninstall, please (dash,
> not underscore).

Patch please?  I have no way to test, so I can't do it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588