gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Product Report: ublox USB dongle on Debian 9.5

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Product Report: ublox USB dongle on Debian 9.5
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:24:46 -0700

Yo Charles!

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:56:37 -0600
Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> My GlobalSat BU 353 having died on me,

It happens.

> I ordered a ublox based dongle from Amazon.

Pretty  vague.

> Once I got it working, it seems to be rock solid. I have it on the
> north side of a house with metal siding and a metal roof, just outside
> a window.

You'll find it works ine inside the window too.

> 19:30:00  $GNTXT,01,01,02,HW UBX-M8030 00080000*60

It is an M8030, vanilla u-blox 8.  Good.  I have one now, and have
played with several of them.

> 19:30:00  $GNTXT,01,01,02,ROM CORE 3.01 (107888)*2B

ROM, not flash, so updates not possible.  OTOH, 3.01 may be the
best for the 8 that u-blox ever ships.

> 19:30:00  $GNTXT,01,01,02,FWVER=3DSPG 3.01*46

SPG is the basic firmware, nothing special.

> So far so good. Now, how does one tell gpsd where to find the thing?

Easy:

# gpsd -nG /dev/ttyACM0

Done.

> I installed my own copy of /etc/systemd/gpsd.service, modified it to
> read:

Oh, systemd, there is your mistake.  Never use that myself.  Maybe
someone else knows...

I think you need a udev file to tell udev to tell systemd to tell gpsd
when the device is plugged in.  Makes my head spin...

> # ublox:
> ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -nGb /dev/ttyACM0

You do NOT want -b.  That breaks ubxtool.  And that looks nothing like
the usual systemd config which prestarts gpsd with -F.

> N.b.: I am not sure the -b option to gpsd is necessary. I have not
> experimented with it.

You do NOT want it.  It breaks ubxtool, and some autodetection.

> Something for further research: can we get udev to report the device
> name to systemd so systemd can feed it to gpsd.service?

There is a udev file to do that, no idea where it is.  I never use it.

If you are gonna work with systemd you are gonna need a systemd person
to help.

Did you try the files in git head in the systemd directory?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588