gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover

From: Rich Wales
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Garmin 18X LVC and upcoming week rollover
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:45:46 -0800

3.15? Really? Fix that.

Thanks.  I have.  3.17 now.

You, and everyone else, wants to know the answer to that. The Garmin firmware is proprietary, and unsupported. OTOH, that is an ancient GPS. Modern GPS are much better. Skip the worries, and get 10 years of bug fixes by spending $20 on a modern one.

Thanks.  I'm going to wait until April and see what happens then.  I imagine the rollover code in timebase.c may rescue me; if not, I'll go looking for a new GPS unit at that time.

I've had 9+ years of solidly reliable performance from this Garmin 18X LVC, but I realize no hardware lasts forever.  If I were to replace it now with a newer GPS unit, what specific modern models should I look at?  My existing unit -- a miniature "hockey puck" with a pigtail of bare wires -- is connected to a DB9 serial connector (plugged in to an RS232 serial port on my desktop computer), with a separate USB connector solely for supplying power.  I am intentionally not using a USB data interface to the GPS unit, btw, in order to avoid known latency issues with USB serial adapters.  The GPS is being used exclusively for time sync via GPSD and NTPSEC, so I have no need for any fancy box, display, or the like.
--
Rich Wales
address@hidden