gpsd-users

Re: Antenna

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Antenna
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:50:23 -0800

Yo Al!

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:24:38 +1300
Al Grant <bigal.nz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a small active waterproof antenna.

That covers a lot of ground.

> I tried this but it's some weird connector - I think MCX-J ?  (
> https://www.siretta.com/products/antennas/alpha-4a/#tab-downloads )

And it is GPS L1 only.  I assume your recveiver is not GPS L1 only?

The antenna will be optimized for the bands you need.  To know the bands
you need, we need to know your receeiver model.

Also, what kind of mounting? 1/4" and 5/8" threads are common.  More
common are magnetic mount or sticky mount.

> Anyway my board takes ufl - can someone suggest please a good high
> gain one?

It will be hard to find a u.FL one that is good for more than a
few insert cycles.  Get a u.FL to SMA pigtail, then get an SMA antenna.

These work:

https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Pigtail-Antenna-Bulkhead-Extender/dp/B098QH631G/ref=sr_1_2

RGDS
GARY