grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.10

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.101-be82
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:59:47 -0700

On 09/27/2016 08:09 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
Would you please adjust it not to use configure's--enable-gcc-warnings option? That option is best avoided on aging platforms like that, precisely because of this sort of false positive.

He didn't use the --enable-gcc-warnings option; warnings were enabled automatically because he built from a Git checkout rather than from the snapshot tarball.As it's inevitable that people will build from git rather than from tarballs, I installed the attached patch to try to fend off reports like this in the future. It is annoying to maintain approved GCC version numbers in configure.ac; perhaps there's a better way to do it.

Tested on Solaris 10 sparc with its bundled GCC 3.4.3, which is so old that the Solaris assembler warns about GCC's use of DCTI couples, a SPARC feature that was deprecated in 2005! Luckily I was testing on the circa-2000 hardware that is still our central departmental server.