grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.51-

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-3.1.51-e767
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:55:09 +0100

    >     On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:13 AM Jose E. Marchesi <address@hidden>
wrote:
    >     > In Oracle Linux 6.9 on a SPARC S7 (sparc64):
    >     >
    >     > pcre: skipped test: no PCRE support
    >     > SKIP: pcre
    >     > pcre-abort: skipped test: no PCRE support
    >     >
    >     > I had to manually skip mb-non-UTF8-performance because the `times'
perl
    >     > command in this system always returns 0 for all four times, so the
while
    >     > loop in the test driver never finishes (ugh).
    >
    >     Ugh. Which version of perl is that? I.e., what does perl -V print?
    >     After the release, I'll consider adding a require_perl_times_ function
    >     that will cause that test to be skipped on such systems.
    >
    > perl5 revision 5 version 10 subversion 1.  See below for the detailed
    > output of perl -V.

    Thanks.
    Can you confirm that this one-liner really prints only "0" there?

    perl -le 'system (@ARGV); my ($u, $s, $cu, $cs) = times; print $cu'
    timeout 1 perl -e '$t=1; while (1) { $t = sqrt $t }'

Yep.  It prints "0".

Depending on how perl's `times' is implemented, this could be a
limitation/bug in the sparc64 port.