[Groff] grohtml

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] grohtml
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:41:51 GMT

[Gaius, what about subscribing address@hidden

Your fixes definitely are an improvement.  Good work!

Nevertheless, a lot of things still don't work properly.  My test file
was man.man (from the man_db package) processed with

  zcat /usr/man/man1/man.1.gz | groff -Thtml -man > man.html

.) The many forced line breaks are quite annoying, but of course I
   know that the -a option is missing.  My suggestion: Can you make
   the `-a' option the default?  I believe that most people expect
   this, leaving the browser to format paragraphs properly.

   And if there are forced line breaks, the line length should be
   oriented at grotty (e.g. 80 chars per line) to yield a pleasant
   output for people like me who use 12x24 glyphs in the browser.

.) The switches from the various fonts forth and back apparently
   happen not at the correct place.  E.g.

     .B man
     .RB [\| \-c \||\| \-w \||\| \-tZT
     .IR device \|]

   appears as

     man [ -c| -w| -tZT device]
                              ^
               this should be R again but is still I

.) In the sample above I think that `\|' should not be translated to a
   space but always be ignored (as it happens with \| after the -w).

.) [I've just discovered that man.1 needs to be processed with groff's
    `-t' option which isn't automatically called if I say `man man'.
    Strange.]

   The produced GIFs are too small for me.  I suggest an option to
   control the size of it.  Additionally, we should rather use PNG
   instead of GIFs for the known reasons.  Finally, I would like to
   see gray-level images (with anti-aliased glyphs) to have improved
   appearance.

More wishes surely to come :-)