Re: [Groff] new grohtml: .TLs and .SHs.

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] new grohtml: .TLs and .SHs.
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 17:07:31 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the pointers to "tidy" I've just downloaded it and
will find it extremely useful for improving grohtml output.

> What you are having Groff do with .TL and .SH is not for Groff to do. At
> least, not yet, or not arbitrarily.

> For Groff 1.16 would you please have it handle .TL and .SH in more mundane
> ways?

Dean has suggested that a macro be used to specify the position of
the automatic TOC - which I'll do. Can you be more specific with
your statement above - perhaps with an example.

Remember you can turn it all off by using the -P-g flag on groff.

> And maybe add some macros for <h1> through <h6>?

sure adding h1..h6 macros can be done easily enough.
One obvious way to implement this is .HEADING n
simply informs grohtml the current level of section heading.
Would you prefer something more elaborate? Are you happy
with the way .NH's are handled?

Perhaps we need macros to tell grohtml not to automatically
generate headings and titles, rather than command line switches?
Say:

  .NOTITLE
  .HEADING <n>          0 indicate no headings at all a number
                        greater than 0 indicates current heading
                        level.

what do others think? Thanks for the feedback,

cheers Gaius