Re: [Groff] soelim outdated

From: Nicola Bernardini
Subject: Re: [Groff] soelim outdated
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 05:20:03 +0100 (CET)

Yesterday, Werner LEMBERG schrieb:

[snip]
> > I sometimes need the ability to include extra bits of text (which
> > may not be macros) which lie on personal directories etc. I
> > generally do it with the -M option, and with .mso it works quite
> > well (*except* for soelim).
>
> Again, I think this is an abuse of .mso, and a GROFF_INPUT_PATH
> feature should be introduced.

I'm not sure I understand why it is an abuse (included stuff may well
be macros after all). The .mso line in the groff manpage says:

       .mso file
              The same as the so  request  except  that  file  is
              searched  for  in  the  same  way that tmac.name is
              searched for when the -mname option is specified.

so perhaps soelim should know about it, should'nt it? IMHO dealing
with an environment variable is not the same as dealing with a
command line option (-M vs. GROFF_INPUT_PATH).

Nicola

|Nicola Bernardini     |
|E-mail: address@hidden |