Re: [Groff] Smart quotes

From: Mark Lawrence
Subject: Re: [Groff] Smart quotes
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:45:40 -0600

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 02:13:41AM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:

> I can't believe I'm the first person who's ever wanted/needed
> smart quotes in groff.

This is not a pure troff solution, but it may give you some ideas.

I've used a short perl filter to turn typewriter double quotes into
troff double quotes:

 #!/usr/bin/perl -p

  s/(\S)"/\1''/g;

I run my file through this filter before sending it to troff so I can
type as I normally do (using ") while still getting the typeset ouput
I want.

Instead of replacing the " with '' and ``, you could (I think)
replace them with macros or special characters that change their
output depending on the desired style.

--
Mark Lawrence
www.unified-eng.com