Re: [Groff] hyphenation in words with explicit hyphen

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] hyphenation in words with explicit hyphen
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 01:16:21 +0100 (CET)

> > Hmm, german.sty has the command "= which inserts an explicit hyphen,
> > allowing hyphenation before and after the hyphen.  I can't imagine
> > that Dutch language support files for LaTeX don't have this (or a
> > similar) feature.
> The babel files for Dutch don't seem to have it. I can't find it in
> dutch.ldf, nor any other mechanism; and neither does it work in a
> test file.  Btw, the description in Kopka and Daly seems to suggest
> that "= only prints as - if the word is actually hyphenated at that
> point; but your description as well as the tests I have carried out
> show that it always prints as -.  Anyway, I'm going to add the "=
> feature to my personal LaTeX document class. Thanks!

You should write a mail to Johannes Braams...

> Still I think that a - in a word should not inhibit further
> hyphenation, at least not, as you suggest, in longer words.

Well, the plan is to add two registers which control the distance to
the next allowed implicit hyphenation point -- you don't need to
activate it...

I'll look into the source code to check how complicated an
implementation would be.

Thank you all for your comments.