Re: [Groff] New requests `de1' and `am1'.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] New requests `de1' and `am1'.
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 17:10:57 +0200 (CEST)

> >   Two new requests `de1' and `am1' which are similar to `de' and
> >   `am' but with compatibility mode disabled during expansion of
> >   macros defined by them.
>
> Is there some mnemonic you had in mind when choosing the `1' suffix
> that will help remembering them?

It's a variant.  I've already introduced `tm1' as a variant of `tm'.
Something similar is used in Elisp which has `print' and `prin1'.
Other examples are PostScript glyph name variants: `omega'
vs. `omega1', `phi' vs. `phi1', etc.

Another idea I had in mind was using `de*' and `am*', resembling
similar concepts as in LaTeX, but `*' is already extensively used in
the ms macro package.

I don't think that `dedc' (DEfine with Disabled Compatibility mode) or
`denocp' (DEfine but NO ComPatibility) is *that* better, but I can
change the names easily if the objections are loud enough and good
alternatives are presented.